Friday, November 5, 2010

Kevin Westgarth on Willie Mitchell's fight


In an interview here on MayorsManor a few weeks ago, Kings' enforcer Kevin Westgarth said he was "itching a bit" to get into his first fight of the year, and added "there's no takers."

Last night versus Tampa Bay might have given him just the opportunity. However, he was about as far from the ice as you can get inside Staples Center - resting in the press box after being given the night off.

We checked in with Westgarth at practice today for some thoughts on what played out between the Kings and Lightning though...

MM:  Seeing how physical the game was last night, how bad were you wishing you were out there?

KW:  Ah, pretty bad! It's definitely one of those games where I feel like I can have a big impact. Obviously, you never know which game it's going to be.  I understand the way things work.  By the same token, I'm up there (in the press box) and I see guys like Doughty and Brownie getting kinda some cheap shots on them and that gets me pretty good.  I definitely want to be the guy out there to make sure it doesn't happen.  Hopefully me sitting on the bench makes sure it doesn't happen.  It's too bad we're not playing them again this year.  But, it always comes back around.

What were you thinking when Willie Mitchell ended up getting in a fight?

I don't think there was anybody in the crowd more excited than me because he stepped  up.  Everybody knows what Steve Downie is about.  He is the player he is.  After him and Dewey (Doughty) were kinda getting into it, to see Willie step up, that's what I love to see.  I was proud of my teammates and it's just great to see that we're willing to do that for each other - from top to bottom.  I can say I'm real ticked off to not be in the game, but I know the boys are always going to get each other's backs.  It's not like a real worry.  But, you're still itching to do your part.

For a little extra fun, here's some video from the team's post-game locker room celebration.  Perhaps if the Kings keep winning, Westgarth can learn the rest of the words to the song.


The Mayor
www.twitter.com/MayorNHL
www.facebook.com/MayorsManor

RELATED ARTICLES:

Frozen Fury 2010 Preview w/ Kevin Westgarth

10/19/2010 Post Skate Comments - Westgarth talks about not fighting yet this season

10 Tidbits on Willie Mitchell

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment