Monday, February 7, 2011

Recap of Justin Williams on NHL Radio

The Kings are back home in Los Angeles for a few days before flying out to Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

Earlier today, fresh off his big game in Calgary Saturday night (three points and a goal in the shootout), Justin Williams joined the guys on NHL radio's PowerPlay for a quick interview.

Here are the highlights...

* What's the team's mindset on this road trip, considering you probably need to make up some games after that 2-6 homestand in January? Our season has been such a roller coaster. We've been too streaky. We're in the middle of one of those streaks right now, where we're scoring goals and picking up two points most nights.

* Regarding the closeness of the games - (JW) Even if you win six in a row right now it seems like you don't gain much ground in the Western Conference. You need to consistently get six or seven points out of every ten points possible.

* (Host) You seem to be healthy after several injuries the last few seasons. (JW) I think the most important step for me this season has been playing every game. I know if I'm healthy and if my mind is feeling right, those points are going to come. I'm going to get some action on the offensive side. For now, it's about winning games and games played.

* Is confidence related to health or is it a rhythm? Hockey careers are ultimately pretty short. However, I've had three years where I played about half the seasons. It's real hard to come back to a team when you've missed two months of action. To jump into a stretch run or back into the playoffs is tough. The other guys have that rhythm going and they're a step ahead of you. Fortunately, I've been healthy this year and that's allowed me to play more games.

* Have you changed your training habits this year to stay more healthy? Somewhat. I felt that I had lost a step due to my injuries. That was my focus this summer.  It seems to be paying off.

* What's in like in LA, where you're part of a group of stars compared to maybe the way things were when you were in Carolina? We have a real good fan base, the support has been tremendous. We've made a little bit of noise this year. Usually it's the Lakers in this town, but we're staring to make a name for ourselves. Many of our games have been sold out and we want to keep pushing come playoff time.



The Mayor
www.twitter.com/Mayor119
www.facebook.com/MayorsManor

1 comment:

  1. CRAP!!! I hope NHL Radio didn't just jinx J-Dub.....Really? you've been healthy all year....Thanks guys. :-(

    ReplyDelete