Saturday, April 23, 2011

Alec Martinez is looking to stay on his feet in game five

Early in game four the Kings saw Dustin Brown and Matt Greene sitting in the penalty box together, giving the Sharks a two-man advantage and a good chance for some first period momentum.

While San Jose failed to score before things returned to 5-on-5 play, they did plenty of it later - posting three goals in the second and another three in the third.

Then, trailing 6-3 late in the game, the Kings found themselves with their own two-man advantage - something they couldn't capitalize on either.

However, it was the first of the Sharks penalties in that sequence that had coach Terry Murray particularly hot - calling Dany Heatley's tripping of defenseman Alec Martinez 'gutless.'

After waiting a day, to let the emotions simmer down a bit, here's what Martinez had to say about the play - "I was just going back for the puck. I thought I made the play to Greener and then I just tried to turn up ice and he took my feet out. So, I don't know. I, obviously, had my back to the play. I just got up and tried to join the rush because I knew we probably had the delayed penalty. That's just playoff hockey. We just have to make it known that they can't be doing that kind of thing."

Murray was a little more adamant about it at the time, saying it was a slew foot - "That’s where you break your leg. That’s where you blow your knee out. I hate that play. That’s a gutless move in my mind. You just don’t do that in hockey."



The Mayor
www.twitter.com/MayorNHL
www.facebook.com/MayorsManor

.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment