If you were following hockey when the Y2K craze was in full stride, you probably spent a fair amount of time watching the NHL2Night on ESPN. The 30 minute show gave hockey fanatics their nightly fix of scores, highlights and analysis. Guiding the puck fest was John Buccigross, an ESPN anchor and now author. He's hard to forget - with his music references and pure love for the sport. In between duties for ESPN we caught up with John to get his take on the first week of the NHL season.
With one week in the books, what would say have been the HIGHs so far?
1. Calgary Flames - I picked them to finish first and they look good so far. They seem to have a little magic to them.
2. Sidney Crosby - He's now a good faceoff man. That's the sign of a winner. Keep improving.
3. Alex Ovechkin - 70 goals? Another MVP? Probably.
And on the flip side, the LOWs of the young season?
1. Boston Bruins - Trade Phil Kessel and the offense is severely hurt. They should get better.
2. The Referees - A lot of ticky tack calls.
3. Toronto - All bark, no bite so far.
Later this afternoon we'll post a more in depth interview with John. Fear not, we'll be looking for answers on why he reversed course and now says the Kings will not make the playoffs. Enquiring minds want to know. And the Mayor needs answers!
Interview with John Buccigross of ESPN
Interview with Kelly Hrudey - former Kings goalie, now a commentator on TSN
Interview with Luc Robitaille - sit down with #20 a few days before his Hall of Fame induction
Interview with Mike Modano - arguably the greatest American born hockey player of all-time
Interview with Bob Miller - legendary voice of the Kings talks favorite players, games, moments, etc.