Friday, August 26, 2011

Dodgers' Tony Gwynn remembers LA Kings '93 playoff run

Last month Dodgers' first baseman James Loney and outfielder Matt Kemp stopped by MayorsManor to share a few thoughts on hockey.

As you may recall, Loney is eager to not only come out to Staples Center for a game, but he wants to suit up and take part in warm-ups. Meanwhile, the always laid-back Kemp indicated he was more the 'ceremonial first puck' type of guy.

Then, there's outfielder Tony Gwynn, Jr. - perhaps a superfan in disguise...

Growing up, he says he spent summers in Long Beach with his grandparents. And although he never made it down to the old Forum for a game, that didn't stop him from cheering for the local hockey team.

"I was a huge Kings fan back when they went to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1993," Gwynn recently shared. "Back when they had Luc Robitaille and Wayne Gretzky, they had a bunch of good players. I remember watching the Vancouver series and when they won that series I was pumped up!"

Nearly 20 years later, is he still interested in the Kings?

"As I've gotten older, I haven't had the chance to follow them as much. But, every time I see them on TV I root for them," explained Gwynn.

Once the Dodgers season is over, he'll spend his winter down in San Diego - just a few hour drive from downtown Los Angeles. So, maybe he'll catch a game this season.

"I would love to come to a hockey game," said Gwynn. "I've heard they're one of the best games to go watch in person."

How about getting on the ice, would he like to join Loney?

"If I did that, I'd have to be the goalie because I would need as much equipment as possible - especially seeing that puck come by as fast it goes," Gwynn wondered aloud.

Just know that it wouldn't be completely foreign to him...

"I've been on skates before. I used to try to play a little bit of hockey when I was younger. But, it was ugly," he said, followed by a long laugh.



For some other Dodgers-Kings related articles, be sure to check out the links below.

The Mayor
www.twitter.com/MayorNHL
www.facebook.com/MayorsManor

RELATED ARTICLES:

Dodgers James Loney eyeing LA Kings, thinking of becoming Bo Jackson 2.0?

Matt Kemp unwilling to follow James Loney onto Kings ice

Don Mattingly says 2012 will be championship year for the Dodgers and Kings

Kings ruin Dodgers perfect record

Kings take the field for opening day at Dodger Stadium

Interview with Luc Robitaille - 20 questions for #20


Shop for Los Angeles Kings Gear at Shop.NHLcom!

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment