Saturday, February 25, 2012

10 Tidbits from LA Kings morning skate - no Carter yet

The Kings had an earlier than usual skate this morning, due to tonight's game vs. the Blackhawks being at 5pm local time. Of course, the big topics around the locker room continues to be Jeff Carter and the upcoming trade deadline. Here's 10 tidbits that we picked up...

- Willie Mitchell on why he signed in LA now vs. testing free agency: "It's about having a shot at the Stanley Cup...it's all about winning. I want a Cup. I don't have that. A couple of guys around here do. I hear the stories, I hear everything...that's what drives me and that's what motivates me."

- Jeff Carter will wear #77 and play on a line with Mike Richards and rookie Dwight King to start the game, per coach Darryl Sutter. Carter will also get time on the power play.

- King on if he's following the trade rumors: "If you watch any sports program, you see a little bit of the action going on. But, I try not to pay too much attention."

- Jrodan Nolan on his less than guaranteed roster spot over the next few days: "LA's going to do what's best for them, get the players they can or stick with the team (as is). Whatever happens, happens. All I can go is focus on the game tonight and playing my best hockey. I hope to stick around for a bit."

- Nolan on if things are getting a little bit easier every day: "I wouldn't say 'easier' because you still have to impress the coaching staff and the GM. You're still fighting for your job because we're the easiest guys to send down, as we don't have to go through waivers. I'm just trying to play well every day and make it tough on them."

- Jonathan Bernier said he was "frustrated" that he wasn't the starter in Colorado earlier this week, the second of back-to-back games. He found out the night before after the team checked into their Denver hotel. Given the travel schedule and workload of Jonathan Quick, he was expecting to start vs the Avalanche.

- Slava Voynov on the trade for Jack Johnson: (paraphrased through partial English) 'I found out about it during the game vs Wilkes-Barre. It was after the third period and right before overtime, (one of my teammates) told me.'

- Voynov on the tough stretch of the Manchester Monarchs recent losing streak: 'They don't have enough forwards. We were playing some games with eight defensemen, and so some d-men were playing forward.'

- Voynov: 'I've been waiting for this time, to get more ice time and have more time on the first power play unit. It's more pressure for me, but I'm OK.'

- Richards is not interested in talking about the Philadelphia media anymore, audio here.

We'll have live notes and quotes coming up from the Jeff Carter press conference at 2:45pm, follow along on the twitter/facebook links below.

The Mayor
www.twitter.com/MayorNHL
www.facebook.com/MayorsManor

1 comment: