Monday, March 21, 2011

Westgarth on Fight Rules, Clifford's KO, Scrap with Cam

On Friday we heard from Kings coach Terry Murray regarding the multiple fights in Thursday's night game versus the St. Louis Blues.

He said he thought Kevin Westgarth's scrap with Cam Janssen was "absolutely what the team needed" and said Kyle Clifford's injury was one of the "consequences of playing that role."

Which is something I wanted to get Westgarth's perspective on...

MM: How tough was it to watch the Clifford fight (video here)? He hasn't really been rocked at all this year.

KW: It's going to happen. He just missed his grab there and was trying to, essentially, punch himself out of the miss. He just got tagged by one. It knocked him down. But, I think we saw right away he was back up. He would have gladly gotten back into it. He's a young guy, just tough as nails. He scares a lot of the other guys (on other teams) and fights pretty wide open. That's going to happen every once and a while. He's got a lot to learn, as we all do. You have to adjust. I know this year my fighting style has kind of ebb and flowed with the guys I've fought. It's going to happen. We're glad he's here though and we're glad he's all right.

MM: How about your fight with Janssen (video here)? Did things go as planned?

KW: It's funny. I think he was ticked off the refs came in and broke it up. He always just waits guys out. I know that. I'm still a young buck, so I have to listen to these linesman when they tell me to do something. Cliffy was saying that he saw an article where Janssen had been quoted saying he had been studying up and knew I was a righty. So, I was like, eh - all right. I actually got to mix in a few lefts, which doesn't happen too often. So, it was good. I've watched a number of his fights and he has a pretty standard MO, it's just to hold on and let the guy punch himself out, then come on late. I know I had a lot left. I'll take that one and I'm sure he'll be back for more. I might give it to him again. He's a great guy though. One of those respectable, respectful players.

[note: Special thanks to The Colonel for sharing a little MayorsManor info with Westgarth! Good to hear he's been keeping up on his reading here.]

MM: Earlier in the season you guys played in Philadelphia and Jim Fox shared Jody Shelley's 'Five Rules for Fighting' during the broadcast. Do you have any rules of the game?

KW: I think his first two pretty much describe every situation - respect and protect. Respect means so many things, like respect for your opponent, respect for the game, make sure they have respect for your teammates. In that same vein, you're protecting your teammates and that's your role - to make sure guys aren't doing stupid things and guys (on the other team) aren't going to take liberties with your guys. To me those are the two. Obviously, it branches it out from there. Respect and protect, those are the rules to live by.



The Mayor
www.twitter.com/MayorNHL
www.facebook.com/MayorsManor

RELATED ARTICLES:

New Year's Resolutions with Kevin Westgarth

Westgarth Values Life on The Road

Cam Janssen's Five Minute Major Preview:  LA vs. StL



Shop for Los Angeles Kings Gear at Shop.NHLcom!Shop.NHL.com

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment