Monday, November 28, 2011

Trevor Lewis on being on the outside looking in for LA

Trevor Lewis, LA Kings (photo: D. Sheehan)
Top-six players dominate the headlines most days and yesterday was no exception. When Kings coach Terry Murray scrambled the forwards at practice, much of the early attention was placed on the big names - Dustin Brown, Jarret Stoll, Andrei Loktionov, etc. - that were on the move.

Yet, what about some of the other guys? Even with four completely re-built lines, center Trevor Lewis still found himself on the outside looking in.  He and Brad Richardson will remain the two 'extra' forwards for now.

"No one likes sitting out," said Lewis. "But, I don't think I've been playing as best as I can. I have to take this time while I'm out right now, just refocus and get myself back to where I know I can play and where I know I can help the team out."

Lewis, who hasn't dressed for the Kings' last three games, also isn't quite sure what's missing - other than he's not in that same groove he was in the second half of last season.

"That's what I need to get back to," he surmised. "I think I need to just quit thinking about maybe scoring goals or whatever and just get back to the game that got me here. That's getting on the forechecks, getting pucks stopped, creating havoc on their 'D' and just being harder on the puck all over the place."

Like most players in a slump, he's sought advice from a few of his peers, namely Brown (who sits next to him in the dressing room) and his roommate on the road, Mike Richards.

"Brownie gives me confidence, tells me to keep going at it and to just go out there and play and have fun, see what happens. Ricky too, he says a lot of the same things. They're both really good leaders. They're going to help you out any way they can, even if it's a little confidence builder, like 'Hey, good play there.' It helps you out more than you think."

Speaking of Richards, earlier this season, Lewis dished a little on his new roommate. Since then, has he noticed any annoying habits?

"He likes his candy," Lewis shared. "I have to try and stay away from that a little bit. So, that's annoying, that I can't eat candy like him."

Uh oh. We may have a problem. Richards sits next to Dustin Penner in the locker room - who once told us he loves Sour Patch Kids. Wonder if those two have exchanged notes yet.


The Mayor
www.twitter.com/MayorNHL
www.facebook.com/MayorsManor 

RELATED ARTICLES:

Lewis dishes on roommate Mike Richards

Evaluating coach Murray's new line combinations

Dustin Penner comments on PennerMania

Mike Richards on Corey Perry and not doing stupid things

What I've learned so far this season... by Dustin Brown

Shop MMAOverload.com Today!

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment